Starting on June 21, eight young chess players from around the world are facing off in the first-ever Intercontinental ChessKid Candidates tournament.
The Intercontinental ChessKid Candidates tournament features eight ChessKid candidates who made it to this final stage after competing in a series of online qualifiers and semifinals, in which over 200 players aged under 12 from 52 countries took part.
The accommodation of each of the eight qualifiers, as well as their tutors, along with attending the Candidates tournament, is covered by ChessKid. And the ChessKids are playing in the same room and using the same boards and pieces as the adult grandmasters taking part in the FIDE Candidates 2022!
Here are the players that are competing in the event:
- Sebastian Suarez, Colombia/USA (1454)
- Artyom Bogdanov, Kazakhstan (1513)
- Alex Villa Tornero, Spain (1872)
- Jaime Rey Martínez, Spain (1929)
- Miguel Herraiz Ciudad, Spain (1446)
- Levi Kalani Alexander Fogo Esquivel, Mexico (1532)
- Jesus Daniel Diaz Guerrero, Mexico (1556)
- Cristopher Bozhkov Stoyanov, Spain (1287)
They will compete in a round-robin tournament will June 23, with a closing ceremony on June 24. The time control is 25 minutes plus a 5-second increment.
You can catch all the action here and both English and Spanish commentary at twitch.tv/chesskid.